The ocean economy has long been dominated by large, global companies in traditional industries like oil and gas, shipping and fishing. However, alongside these incumbent industries, there is a rapidly evolving ecosystem of startups using new technologies and business models to solve ocean problems (e.g. coastal resilience, plastic pollution, ecosystem monitoring), and to sustainably use ocean resources to address global challenges (e.g. food security, climate change). In this panel, we will explore this blue innovation landscape and assess how policymakers, investors, entrepreneurs and universities can foster rapid development and large-scale deployment of these exciting solutions.
Event speakers include:
- Daniela Fernandez | Founder and CEO, Sustainable Ocean Alliance
- Aleks Gosiewski | Co-Founder and COO, Algiknit (a startup using seaweed to produce sustainable fabrics)
- Alexis Grosskopf | Founder and CEO, Ocean Hub Africa
- Mark Huang | Co-Founder & Managing Director, SeaAhead
- Dan Vermeer (Moderator) | Executive Director of the EDGE Center, Duke University Fuqua School of Business